Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Glass Fusion

Fused glass is a term used to describe glass that has been fired (heat-processed) in a kiln at a range of high temperatures from 593 °C (1,099 °F) to 816 °C (1,501 °F). There are 3 main distinctions for temperature application and the resulting effect on the glass.
Firing in the lower ranges of these temperatures 593–677 °C (1099–1251 °F) is called slumping. Firing in the middle ranges of these temperatures 677–732 °C (1251–1350 °F) is considered "tack fusing". Firing the glass at the higher spectrum of this range 732–816 °C (1350–1501 °F) is a "full fuse".
All of these techniques can be applied to one glass work in separate firings to add depth, relief and shape.

 

I am absolutely fascinated by glass, the texture, the colors...everything about it.  I have a lot of glass in my house, blown glass, formed glass, all of this made by artisans near and far.  One of my favorite places to hang out is at the Alder House gallery, there, you can watch the entire glass blowing process from beginning to end.  You can have items made especially for you, you pick the colors, you pick the design; I have many pieces that have been created there.  So, considering my fascination of glass it may not come as a surprise that learning how to create something with glass would be on my list.  I chose fusing because I had a groupon....I know pretty rinky dink, I would have rather gone for blowing it but have to admit, I'm a coupon junkie.   Not only did I have a groupon for the class I had Tina, my very special friend who talked me into this crazy 50 thing, who wanted to go along-she had a groupon for a motel in Lincoln City so between the two of us we were going to have fun at groupon prices!

We planned our trip for the weekend of April 21st and 22nd (coincidentally the same weekend I quit smoking a year ago).  We headed out on Friday afternoon-right on time :)  I was so looking forward to a weekend at the beach, watching the waves, enjoying the clean air and of course eating my share of clam chowder.  On the drive over we talked and talked, it's nice to have a friend that conversations just flow freely and silence is OK too!  So, we arrive at our destination and check in, then off to find something to eat-Pier 101, one of my favorites.  



Saturday, wake up feeling fresh and ready for my lesson.  We finally find the place and then meet Maurice. I will admit right now my gaydar sucks so it took me almost an hour to figure out this guy is sooo gay; I'm sure after I asked if he and the gal helping him were married they had a very good laugh.  So, they showed us what to do and made it very clear that they would be able to help every step of the way.  I'm not very creative so undertaking something like this was very stressful for me, his reassurance gave me that extra bump to forge ahead.  I had decided early on I wanted a piece with a starfish.  I explained that to Maurice and he got me started.  Tina was off and running with a design of a fish-this was all going to work out great! Onward and upward I went, it was glaringly apparent that Maurice had some opinions about how I should do this-He was a real nice guy but not a good teacher-he made a much better doer :)  Maurice picked the colors, the design and gave me instructions on how to do it; Tina on the other hand was on her own making her art all by herself.  Not quite sure why Maurice decided to hover over me but I can honestly say the end result was his vision and my handiwork. 
The finished product before going in the kiln!!!



Tina's project turned out beautiful....
After we finished, said our goodbyes we were off to lunch and shopping-I learned several things about myself that weekend; I am more creative than I ever thought I was; even at the age of 50 I still have a hard time telling people what I need (Maurice's opinions were not in tune with mine); I love being near the beach; I love having friends like Tina who will put up with me no matter what....I was on time Tina!  And most importantly I found out that I do love using my creative side and I need to let go and relax about it!  Here's to ocean air, great friends, great food, shopping, and to Maurice who taught me more then just how to work with glass!

1 comment:

  1. Kriss,
    I am SO proud of you, you got another item blogged. Are you caught up now?

    I laughed my butt off as I read your post, especially about "Maurice." So, true though, every single word of it, from the Groupons to the shopping/eating/ocean waves/fun and even the gaydar.

    I think your piece turned out wonderful. You do have quite a creative side...and I am so glad that I got to be part of seeing you use it :) I am up for just about any challenge and am ready to go to the beach again at the drop of the hat.

    I am SO excited to see what you come up with next my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Firsts

Firsts
My first day of school